Job Vacancy - Oxford Economics - Software Developer Oxford
Founded in 1981 as a commercial venture with Oxford University’s business college, Oxford Economics has become one of the world’s foremost economic consulting firms with over 20 offices around the world and 400 employees. Our unique data assets and analytical platforms provide best-in-class global economic and industry models to forecast external market trends and assess economic, social and business impact. We are proud to be ranked top in the global Best Economic Forecaster Awards, more than any other forecaster over the past three years by FocusEconomics; also to be recognised as one of Britain’s top mid-market private companies for fastest-growing international sales by The Sunday Times HSBC International Track 200.
At Oxford Economics, we have a deep respect for the role we play in an increasingly complex, interconnected world where economics underpins many of the phenomena unfolding around us every day. We understand the responsibility we have in informing our customers’ most critical decisions with our expert-curated datasets, adaptive forecast models and analytical software. Our leading brand, global scale and growth trajectory represent a rare opportunity to develop world-class skills and deliver meaningful impact. We offer the kind of working environment and competitive compensation you would expect from a global leader, but also a unique heritage and sense of belonging.
As a Software Developer, you will work in a growing in-house team developing Oxford Economics’ online software services and product lines. You will join an established team of customer-focused individuals who are passionate about solving complex problems at scale. Our databanks and modelling software provide clients across the world with advanced economic forecasting technology coving a range of industrial and commercial scenarios. You will work with your team to break down problems, explore technical approaches, and develop and deploy solutions in a way that continuously delivers value to our customers. Your team will own and maintain its own software and be responsible for ensuring high-quality, working in an agile way and focusing on continuous improvement.
As a Software Developer at Oxford Economics, you will work in tandem with our Economists, Analysts and Business Development teams to develop state-of-the-art product and service features driven by client needs. You should absolutely love to create great software, love learning, and be passionate about your role and profession as a software developer. An active appreciation for the role economics plays in the world and how technology can contribute to our evolving client value propositions will be key to your success.
Key Working Relationships
- Develop internal software tools and applications to help our data curation team capture, cleanse, transform, analyse, validate, visualise and publish economic data sets
- Develop internal software tools and applications to help our economists consume, model, transform, analyse and visualise economic data and produce forecast data sets
- Develop cloud infrastructure and automation that supports the organisation scale and deliver new capabilities
- Support the design and implementation of cloud infrastructure as part of the lifecycle of projects
- Apply a product mindset to balance trade-offs between quality and delivery
- Work effectively with product and design disciplines to develop world-class software to help our customers consume, analyse and visualise our economic data
- Represent your team during cross-team collaboration by staying focused on all aspects of your development projects and ensuring they are handled with consistently sound judgement
- Actively participate in continuous improvement of the team’s processes by proactively sharing knowledge, demonstrating success and day-to-day mentoring of others
- Work and succeed in a fast-paced and agile development environment to drive tasks to completion while ensuring high quality of code that is robust and easy to maintain
- Apply quality assurance practices such as peer design/code reviews to measure and improve software development quality, timeliness and efficiency to ensure high quality of code that is robust and easy to maintain
- In addition to improving and innovating products, all team members share the load of maintaining, managing, operating and supporting the existing technology portfolio (most of which is very new)
Skills and Experience:
- At least 3-4 years of software development experience across the product lifecycle in a modern engineering environment (APIs, CI/CD, Cloud infrastructure, Tests, Git, Agile, Scrum)
- Expert knowledge of REST APIs and experience in backend database technologies including MS SQL Server including good knowledge in query optimization
- Working understanding of Dev Ops, CI/CD and integrating systems into a deployment pipeline including cloud development (Azure preferred)
- A solid understanding of object-orientation, idiomatic and pattern-oriented, modern software design, programming principles and development best practices
Skills and Experience:
- University honours degree qualification preferably in Computer Science, Engineering, or Computational Sciences
- Strong problem-solving skills; ability to monitor and troubleshoot and debug technical issues inside a deep and complex technical stack that includes microservices, containers, and virtualization
- Strong user/business/customer-facing qualities
- Domain experience / demonstrable interest in economics-related fields
- Experience in Python (Django framework preferred), and PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Experience of Cloud automation and migration tools
- Experience of enterprise CMS (Content Management) systems
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with NoSQL database technologies (Mongo DB, Couch DB) and Java/Python/R languages
- Knowledge of functional programming style
- Experience with data visualisation tools (Power BI, Tableau) and frameworks (HighCharts, D3)
- Understanding of modern software development practices including Continuous Integration and Build, Test Driven Development, Domain-Driven Design, MVVM, and mock objects
How to apply
Applications will open in March 2021 Please click Apply Now to send your CV (resumé) and cover letter and complete the online application form. Your cover letter should explain how you meet our requirements and what you can bring to the role.
The deadline for applications is the 11th April 2021. However, early application is strongly recommended.
Oxford Economics is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
Topics: Careers in the UK